Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup
Sounds difficult, but this recipe is surprisingly simple to make. And its amazing.
2lbs beef shank (I use bone-in. If using boneless, cut into chunks)
1T Vegetable Oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch of ginger, chopped
2 star anise
2 scallion stalks, sliced
2T chili bean sauce (or broad bean paste with chili)
1/2 cup shoyu
2 small roma tomatoes, sliced
1/4 cup rice wine
1 tsp to 1/4 cup rock sugar (to taste)
2T Thai sweet chili sauce
5 cups water (or enough to cover the beef)
noodles of your choice (I use pho rice noodles)
blanched bok choy or napa cabbage
Instant Pot or other pressure cooker
1. Preboil beef for 5 to 7 minutes until foam forms on top of the water. Drain and rinse beef.
2. Hit Sautè on your Instant Pot and heat oil. Sautè garlic, ginger, scallions and star anise until fragrant.
3. Add beef shanks and chili bean sauce, brown for a few minutes.
4. Add soy sauce and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, rice wine, and rock sugar.
6. Add water until everything is just covered.
7. Hit Cancel on your Instant Pot and cover. Hit Meat/Stew and set for 30 minutes. When done, let the pressure naturally release (about 15-20 minutes).
8. Remove beef and adjust soup for seasoning - more shoyu, rock sugar, etc. Add Thai sweet chili sauce.
9. Add bok choy to Instant Pot and blanch on Manual for 1-2 minutes. Quick release pressure.
10. Prepare noodles according to package directions.
11. Serve soup and beef over noodles. Garnish with bok choy and fresh cilantro. Slurp.