One of the best pastas I've ever made.
1 lb ziti pasta
1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 medium yellow onion, halved and sliced thin
1/2 cup dry marsala wine (I didn't have this so I left it out and it was fine)
6T unsalted butter
6T all-purpose flour
3 cups veggie broth
1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
8 oz mozzarella, cubed
6T chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Salt and pepper (I used Hawaiian salt)
1. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain.
2. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Add a few tablespoons of oil back into the pasta pot. Saute mushrooms, onions, and salt and pepper, and butter until melted. (Add wine if adding.)
4. Add flour and stir until it absorbs. Add stock a little at a time and stir until it's all been added. Simmer until sauce thickens and stir in pasta.
5. In an oven-safe pan, add mixture, half the parmesan, all of the mozzarella, and half the parsley. Sprinkle rest of parmesan on top.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until edges of pasta are golden brown.
7. Finish with extra parsley and Hawaiian salt.
Adapted from this amazing recipe.